From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Promoting AOO and ApacheCon EU
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 15:26:28 GMT
One of the things we do need to do is promote AOO and its events via social media. Not all
social services, like Facebook, for instance, are equally distributed. Plurk is quite popular
in Taiwan but less so elsewhere; Orkut, until recently, was the most popular social media
service in Brazil.

However, this just means we use what's available and effective, and do so in keeping with
Apache guidelines.

Why is social media a necessary target? Because it works in bringing in contributors and users
who might become contributors; because it, in all its facets, offers ready-made technology
for precisely the kind of thing we want: personal meetings enabled by the Internet, or vice
versa, with a path to substantial contributions to AOO.

To give insight into the effectiveness of this—at least for now, it's effective (who knows
what will come next), see Kevin Hartz (of Eventbrite) on his discovery of just how useful
social media was and remains:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkantrowitz/2012/07/09/eventbrite-challenges-meetup-in-2012-election-season/

I am not actually endorsing Eventbrite; I'm pointing to it because it was perceptive. Actually,
I rather prefer organic (so to speak) events and planning. But I also value coordination.

-louis