From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Updating a couplr of blog postings - new school year in my neck of the woods
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:52:23 GMT
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 12:13 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> Most of the links don't work for me -- the template links. (Windows XP/Firefox)
> >
> > Yes - they did work of course - so for tonights fun and relaxation, at
> > least fix the broken links.
> >

> >> But I love the idea.
> >
> > They were popular and had long tails - the first such were in 2007 on a
> > personal blog at live.com also popular ... somehow, for the windowsill
> > blog, the entire history was lost when MS transfered the service to WP.
> > Oh Well (my fault for not having off-line backup)
> >
> > Part of this was my own little QA, quick usage test, with the current
> > release for each item mentioned, just prior to publishing the posts.. so
> > as I go along this week I'll use the latest 3.4.1 build for AOO and
> > focus on 32bit Windows Vista for the platform.
> >

> I just noticed this article:
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-08-15/back-to-school-free-software/57054404/1
>
> It looks like the "back-to-school" theme with open source software is
> becoming more mainstream.

Yes - I would agree.

It is also my anecdotal experience that OS in general and this package
in particular have a strong and growing usage amongst charter schools,
non-government owned schools (parochial and secular) and home schoolers.

This later category, home schoolers, includes not just individual
interest but also a few of the home schooling curriculum providers are
showing interest.

//drew