From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Where do users come from?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:32:26 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Donald Harbison <> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Rob Weir <> wrote:
>> Looking at all downloads of AOO 3.4 in the last month:
>> 45.48% of them came to the website via a search engine query
>> 8.28% of them came from a link on another, non-openoffice website
>> 12.85% came directly, from typing in a URL or following a bookmark or
>> a link in an email
>> 33.40% came from a upgrade notification message in an older version of
>> This is why I'm so interested in how we do against search queries.
>> This is the new world.  It used to be that getting website traffic was
>> mainly about getting other websites to link to your website.  Today it
>> is more about having relevant content on your website for traffic from
>> search.  It is our single biggest source of new users.
> Do you have specific recommendations regarding actions we can take to
> improve search queries drive visits? I think you posted some in anothr
> thread.

I'm working on it.  I'm taking a data-driven approach here, looking at
the most common search queries related to OpenOffice and what pages
the search results lead uses to.  Based on this I'll probably suggest
20-30 new webpages for the website, each targeted to a specific user
concern and level of awareness.

If anyone wants to help, I'd recommend looking at this wiki page and
seeing if there are any more scenarios we should consider:

>> -Rob

View raw message