From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some keyword analysis for the website
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 20:00:46 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2012-07-05, at 15:02 , Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> I was interested in how our website was performing against some common
>> search queries.  In particular I was thinking of users searching the
>> web in three general categories;
>>

> Interesting. I did this thing back in the early 2000s and altered the keywords to be
more popular. But it had minimal effect—then. The story *then* was that browsers had grown
more sophisticated and simply altering keywords (or creating an endless stream of popular
keywords in invisible ink) had, after 2001, zero effect.

Cool.  Feel free to add additional queries that you think are important.

> But times seemed to have changed?

Where your webpage ranks for a given user query depends on two things:

1) The relevancy of your page to the query

2) The importance of the page

Google is constantly tinkering with their algorithms, but the above
two factors remain.   Google is much smarter now about rejecting
"keyword stuffing" techniques like you used to see back then.  We
don't want to do that.  We shouldn't try to fake a relevant page.

But let's suppose that we test and find out that we place #1 for the
query "OpenOffice download"  (translated) except for Russian.  Then
that suggest that we need to add or update a Russian NL page and make
sure it has a link to download page.   So it is more about ensuring
that our website has the right relevant content.  And one sign that we
don't have that relevant content is when what we think is a relevant
query does not return the page we thought it should.

Example:  the search for "openoffice hang", which is a common query
for someone trying to debug a technical problem, returns as the
highest page some instructions for doing a "hanging indent".   This
should not be hard to fix.

We've had a huge website migration, as well as a new release.  I've
found broken stuff just by poking around.  I think it would be worth
doing a more methodical investigation to make sure common user queries
are finding us when they should.

One other thing that has evolved since the early 2000's.  The website
itself is considered to be very important according to Google, with a
"PageRank" of 8.  So if we get the right content on the website, it is
magnified by this high PageRank.

-Rob