From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Download count = 9 099 712
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:46:05 GMT
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So we're getting close now to the 10M mark.  It looks like we'll be
>> there in time for the AOO 3.4.1 release announcement.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Are we going to continue the count into 3.4.x...n? or restart at 3.4.1 and
> again at 3.4.2 and again at 3.4.3 etc.
> Restart the count at 3.5?

I'll count the data at a fine-grained level.  Since AOO 3.4.1 has
different file names than AOO 3.4.0, it is trivial to distinguish
them.  But I can also distinguish AOO 3.4.1 downloads that come from
AOO 3.4.0 upgrades versus someone downloading AOO 3.4.1 as their first
install.

So for reporting it depends on whether we want to report downloads
counts or users counts.  If we wanted to estimate the number of AOO
users, it would be something like:

User count = AOO 3.4.0 downloads + AOO 3.4.1 downloads - (AOO
3.4.0->AOO 3.4.1 upgrades)

Reporting download counts is fine as well, but it that number is
sensitive to the upgrade frequency.  So imagine you really have 1
million actual users, but you come out with a new release every month.
 Then over a 6 month period you will show a download count of around 6
million, but still have only 1 million users.  So getting impressive,
but meaningless, download numbers is simple.  But a high download
count, caused by upgrade churning, is not really relevant.

So maybe we want to report two figures:  cumulative downloads for
3.4.x, as well as estimated user counts.

-Rob