From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject If OpenOffice is the solution, what is the problem?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:24:13 GMT
I've started a new page on the wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Why+OpenOffice

This is not urgent, but over the next couple of weeks I'd like to
build up a list of problems that OpenOffice solves.  I'd like to think
of it from the perspective of the individual or organization that has
a problem that OpenOffice solves.  Let's try to understand what their
problem is, how OpenOffice helps solve that problem, but also how they
would find out about OpenOffice.

Obviously ever user and every organization is unique with their own
special concerns.  But there are commonalities, and identifying the
common patterns grouping them is a core marketing task.

This is a multi-step initiative:

1) Identify the segments and their needs

2) Identify the keywords they would use to search for a solution

3) Measure how well our existing website serves the kinds of queries
these segments have

4) Add additional material to the website to address any gaps

5) Repeat from step 3 until results are good.

I'll make faster progress on this with more hands, so if this kind of
methodical optimization appeals to you, I'd welcome anyone who wants
to volunteer to help.  Right now, the best place to help is adding
content to this wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Why+OpenOffice

In general, let's think outside of the box, beyond our traditional
open source user base.  Think boldly.  Who are the users we don't have
that we should have?  Knowing only the users we already have won't
lead to growth, since open source enthusiasts procreate so slowly.

Regards,

-Rob