From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Where do users come from?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:46:58 GMT
On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 16:09 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Looking at all downloads of AOO 3.4 in the last month:
>
> 45.48% of them came to the website via a search engine query
>
> 8.28% of them came from a link on another, non-openoffice website
>
> 12.85% came directly, from typing in a URL or following a bookmark or
> a link in an email
>
> 33.40% came from a upgrade notification message in an older version of
> OpenOffice.org
>
> This is why I'm so interested in how we do against search queries.
> This is the new world.  It used to be that getting website traffic was
> mainly about getting other websites to link to your website.  Today it
> is more about having relevant content on your website for traffic from
> search.  It is our single biggest source of new users.

Hi Rob

Thanks for the breakdown - and yes I agree search placement is the
driving force. The only thing I wonder about, I believe it is still true
that building the link count to web properties is still a component in
determining placement in search results, for most search engine
implementations. But I have to admit I can't say I know that for a fact.

//drew