From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some keyword analysis for the website
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:20:02 GMT

On 2012-07-05, at 16:00 , Rob Weir wrote:

> One other thing that has evolved since the early 2000's.  The website
> itself is considered to be very important according to Google, with a
> "PageRank" of 8.  So if we get the right content on the website, it is
> magnified by this high PageRank.
>
> -Rob

Thus do we involve ourselves in SEO?

The only problem we used to have with OOo was that, for purely fiendish reasons, the last
thing we'd want would come first—paid-for links on the right, but also top results that
often had little to do with what we wanted people to find.

Around 2004 or so a donor gave us 50K for Google AdWords. I spent a lot of time creating these,
putting them up, monitoring, etc. The result, as I reported then was, again, hardly noticeable.

What sold among our primary audience then (note: "then")—and these were Windows users more
or less unfamiliar with open source and just wanting a free alternative to MS Office—was
word of mouth news that this a) existed and b) worked.

What caused spikes in downloads, I noted, was news reportage in larger (read more) venues.
For that reason, I kept a kind of spiky tone to press reports, etc.: got in the news. That
came to a halt with corporate evolutions, but while I was more independent, it worked wonders,
and put OOo in the news and resulted in more downloads more effectively than tweaking search
terms.

One thing now to consider: where do our visitors come from? Say, arbitrarily speaking, from
Brazil. In that case, with fisl13 around the corner—and I'm presenting there on AOO(i),
among other things—It would be good to start a campaign on AOO in Brazil (for Brazil by
Brazil kind of thing)?

louis

PS fisl13 is huge. I'll be giving a presentation on AOO and ODF and the necessity of these
tools of free production for the present and future.