From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reports of LibO being substituted for OO requests
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:42:37 GMT
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> This posting on the Forum
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=50119#p239619
> suggests that LibreOffice may be transparently substituted for OpenOffice when a download
is requesed from Ubuntu Software Centre.  There is a trademark problem here that ought be
raised with Ubuntu.

If someone claims to be offering a product according to a trademarked
name, but then substitutes a different product for the consumer, then
this does raise some issues.

But we'd need to figure out whether it is:

1) Someone asks for a bottle of Coke and is given a bottle of Pepsi
instead (and the seller explains they are out of Coke and asks if
Pepsi is OK)

or

2) Someone gets Pepsi out of a Coke machine with no notice whatsoever.

or

3) Someone is putting Pepsi in Coke bottles

#3 is more classically a trademark issue.

-Rob