From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reports of LibO being substituted for OO requests
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:09:12 GMT
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> >
> > This posting on the Forum
> >
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=50119#p239619
> > suggests that LibreOffice may be transparently substituted for
> OpenOffice when a download is requesed from Ubuntu Software Centre.  There
> is a trademark problem here that ought be raised with Ubuntu.
> >

> If someone claims to be offering a product according to a trademarked
> name, but then substitutes a different product for the consumer, then
> this does raise some issues.
>
> But we'd need to figure out whether it is:
>
> 1) Someone asks for a bottle of Coke and is given a bottle of Pepsi
> instead (and the seller explains they are out of Coke and asks if
> Pepsi is OK)
>
> or
>
> 2) Someone gets Pepsi out of a Coke machine with no notice whatsoever.
>
> or
>
> 3) Someone is putting Pepsi in Coke bottles
>

> #3 is more classically a trademark issue.
>
> -Rob
>
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>

For a year or so, there was a lot of FUD about the existence of a viable
OpenOffice, so I think the reaction was to choose the second case.  The LO
installation is not well publicized as the install happens.

-Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org