From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS]Apache OpenOffice 'Conference within a Conference' @ApacheCon Europe 2012
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 22:45:17 GMT
Apache Committers received an email from Nick Burch, VP Conference
Committee on Friday. For those that missed it, Nick provide a good summary
of progress aimed at proposed conference concepts for North America (ACNA)
and Europe (ACEU)[1]

OpenOffice.org had a great history of annual conferences, all hosted by
intrepid volunteers in great locations; e.g. Koper, Barcelona, Lyons,
Orvieto, Biudapest to name a few. As an Apache project, we can do Meetups
or participate in BarCamps. Both are small and quite local. If we want to
think big, we need to think how we can leverage this great ACEU
opportunity.

For example, do we want to organize a 'conference in a conference'? This
would mean putting together a program that would fill a section of the
space allocated to ACEU with talks and tutorials specific to our project,
but also, I think we would be remiss to not link our content to
complementary Apache projects; e.g. Chemistry, POI, ODF Toolkit, etc.

Take a look at the venue... the Rhein-Neckar-Arena[2] looks really cool.
Read Nick's note and you'll see what I'm getting at,...hopefully.

This could be a great way to bring back an 'OpenOffice.org conference'
experience now within the Apache Family. Events are hard work, tons of
deadlines, lots of details. If we want to do this it will take leadership
and volunteerism.

Remember we have funding in the SPI account (just have to pry it loose)
that could be made available to help make this a reality and give our
project real focus and impact.

I'm in. Anyone else?

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-apachecon-discuss/201205.mbox/browser