From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]Apache OpenOffice 'Conference within a Conference' @ApacheCon Europe 2012
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 11:52:17 GMT
Seems in my reply I dropped the circulation list so here it is again
(inline) I also include a response from Andrea which ought to be here.

On 9 May 2012 10:43, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Germany is surely a good location. This is be a nice idea provided that:
> - the OOCon still maintains its identity (i.e., it is a colocated event but
> with specific visibility)
> - the event is community-organized (I didn't understand well what Ross
> wrote, but traditionally OOoCon has been an informal, community-organized
> event, not delegated to external professional organizers).

Sorry to confuse.

All I meant was that the ASF does not fund conferences. Nor does it
organise them. There is an infrastructure in place to support people
organising events. But the funding and the main organising effort must
come from the projects themselves.

In other words if you want a OOoCon then get the community motivated
around it, put together a proposal, and submit it to come, who will
offer what support they can.this thread however is about: locating an
OpenOffice track at an Apache: event. That event will be produced by a
professional production company and supported by volunteers within the
conference committee.

Andrea responded:

> That was my understanding too, but I hoped that we could still advertise the
> track as "OOCon", "AOOCon" or whatever, while still having it included in
> the main Apache event.

That should be possible and I'd be happy to make the case for the PPMC
(I'm a member of ConCom). I look forward for the PPMC providing me
with a case to make.

Ross