From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]Apache OpenOffice 'Conference within a Conference' @ApacheCon Europe 2012
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 07:44:25 GMT
On May 9, 2012 4:27 AM, "Yue Helen" <helenyuehy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize if I did not understand the conference discussion thread quite
> well...
>
> I have some questions and idea to the conference.
> 1. Annual conference
> We used to have annual OpenOffice conference as a mechanism to meet and
> exchange face-to-face. Is this ACEU a one time effort or is also happened
> yearly?

Complicated ...

The Conference Committee is as old as the foundation itself.

There used to be two ApacheCons every year, on in EU and one in US. There
have also been numerous cons in Asia and many smaller bar camps and meet
ups. However, the ASF has grown and a single conference format for all 150+
projects was not working out.

We cancelled the contract with the previous producer a few years ago.
Because of the way the contract worked this meant we had no EU last year
and there will be no US this year.

However, we have a new producer and we are experimenting with different
models to see what works.

AOO has the opportunity to help shape the future of ApacheCon.

> This is related with if we can make it a stable mechanism to meet and
> organize the activities.
>
> 2. "Conference in Conference"
> I'm personally OK with this idea, since it will save us some effort. Just
> two questions,
> 1) do we fit in the conference theme? What are the other tracks like?

The theme is Apache Technologies and the Apache Way. Its up to you to make
it fit. There are many content technologies here at Apache. I would suggest
that the goal would be to focus on cross fertilisation across and outside
Apache. There will be plenty of opportunity for hackathon style events too.

> 2) Does it have limitations? on participants number, ...

The size of the venue is obviously limited. I don't have the numbers to
hand. Will look them up when at my desk.

> 3. Topics, (I believe people have many ideas on this...I just list some
> here)
> 1) Sharing on development/testing/marketing/...
> 2) Discussion on good idea/proposals/design/standard...
> 3) Developers/designers to meet with users/customers/...
> 4) How to build the community well for long-term development
>
> Another questions are, it seems the conference is in NA and EU, how about
> other locations? like people in China?

See above. The events happen where people take the lead in making them
happen. If you want a china event then find someone to own it and bring a
proposal to ConCom.

Ross

> Helen
>
> 2012/5/9 Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>
>
> > I'm in on the broader Conference activities. Happy to be a connection
point
> > for AOO
> >
> > Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
> > On May 8, 2012 11:45 PM, "Donald Harbison" <dpharbison@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Apache Committers received an email from Nick Burch, VP Conference
> > > Committee on Friday. For those that missed it, Nick provide a good
> > summary
> > > of progress aimed at proposed conference concepts for North America
> > (ACNA)
> > > and Europe (ACEU)[1]
> > >
> > > OpenOffice.org had a great history of annual conferences, all hosted
by
> > > intrepid volunteers in great locations; e.g. Koper, Barcelona, Lyons,
> > > Orvieto, Biudapest to name a few. As an Apache project, we can do
Meetups
> > > or participate in BarCamps. Both are small and quite local. If we
want to
> > > think big, we need to think how we can leverage this great ACEU
> > > opportunity.
> > >
> > > For example, do we want to organize a 'conference in a conference'?
This

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-apachecon-discuss/201205.mbox/browser