From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]Apache OpenOffice 'Conference within a Conference' @ApacheCon Europe 2012
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 09:24:34 GMT
On 5/9/12 12:45 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> Apache Committers received an email from Nick Burch, VP Conference
> Committee on Friday. For those that missed it, Nick provide a good summary
> of progress aimed at proposed conference concepts for North America (ACNA)
> and Europe (ACEU)[1]
>
> OpenOffice.org had a great history of annual conferences, all hosted by
> intrepid volunteers in great locations; e.g. Koper, Barcelona, Lyons,
> Orvieto, Biudapest to name a few. As an Apache project, we can do Meetups
> or participate in BarCamps. Both are small and quite local. If we want to
> think big, we need to think how we can leverage this great ACEU
> opportunity.
>
> For example, do we want to organize a 'conference in a conference'? This
> would mean putting together a program that would fill a section of the
> space allocated to ACEU with talks and tutorials specific to our project,
> but also, I think we would be remiss to not link our content to
> complementary Apache projects; e.g. Chemistry, POI, ODF Toolkit, etc.
>
> Take a look at the venue... the Rhein-Neckar-Arena[2] looks really cool.
> Read Nick's note and you'll see what I'm getting at,...hopefully.
>
> This could be a great way to bring back an 'OpenOffice.org conference'
> experience now within the Apache Family. Events are hard work, tons of
> deadlines, lots of details. If we want to do this it will take leadership
> and volunteerism.
>
> Remember we have funding in the SPI account (just have to pry it loose)
> that could be made available to help make this a reality and give our
> project real focus and impact.
>
> I'm in. Anyone else?

+1 for having an AOO focused track. You can count me in

We can see how it evolves over time and I like to have a shared
conferences where can collaborate with other Apache projects. And can
also attract new interested people for our project who would potentially
never attend a separate AOO conference.

But we should also represent our project on other events as well. And
for the same reason, using the broader audience on bigger events to
attract people for our project and product.

I for myself would like to organize something for the FOSDEM next year.
I did it several times in the past.

Juergen