From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: AOO t-shirts, other swag?
Date Sun, 06 May 2012 15:46:12 GMT
This can be a tricky area to comment on, because it all depends on the
details - and especially the groups or individuals who are actually
putting Apache logos on their products (tshirts, buttons, whatever).
I'm presuming in this case that we have some folks who want to work on
this that we already know and trust, and that are happy to work with the
PPMC to get approvals for the plan(s).

- The first step is to get PPMC approval.  Fundamentally it's the PPMC
that should set the tone for such efforts, and should be happy with
what's being sold and where the profit is going.  This is much easier to
manage when the people doing the production or selling are already
working in, and well known by the community (like Jean and Juergen are
in this thread; these ideas sound great to me).

- Logos should be official ones from the project (someday, variations
both for print styles, as well as "powered by" or "I heart" would be
great), or should be approved for use otherwise.

- Items should be at cost, or else a portion of profits need to be
pledged to the ASF.  The existing vendors on our buy_stuff.html page
each have agreed to send part or all of the profits to the ASF.  I
believe some have simply set their CafePress accounts to simply send the
quarterly checks to the ASF, making it easy.  (Although I love the idea
of working with another vendor for better prices; preprinting in bulk is
far cheaper if someone can volunteer to manage the stock)

Note that Apache in general does not fund these activities.  Pending
approval, we're happy in general to have community members do this kind
of thing.  In some cases (like Friends of... and I think potentially
other OOo-related groups where we know the people), it's also allowable
for outside people to organize this kind of thing.

- Shane