Drew and Vadim:

Just some ideas I've used in seminars I have organized in the past:

1) If it's an afternoon session, people often get sleepy after lunch. I put a Red Bull or other caffeinated drink in every chair when the participants returned from lunch, to keep the energy high during the session.

2) I've often had users present their own stories, unfiltered, on the use of my specific products. In this case, talk to local OpenOffice users before the event, collect some really great stories that highlight not just technology value but business and productivity value. Look for stories, and story tellers, who can turn using OpenOffice into not just a logical choice but a passionate one. Then give one 15 minutes of your session, or if you have several hours, add in two or more spaced throughout the event. If they can't attend the event in person, record their story with a videocam or your smartphone, and show the video at the event.

3) Demonstrations. But not just "show and tell", but more like "Day in the Life". Show how OpenOffice can be actually used in the average day of a specific user's life: a university student preparing for her final dissertation; an administrative assistant cleaning up a presentation for his boss; a manager preparing a spreadsheet of tasks and workflow diagram of projects for her new team; etc.

4) Instead of a CD, just package and create thumb-drives or USB sticks preloaded with the install stack, templates, videos, and more.

Just some ideas, I hope this helps.

- Jacques

drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote on 03/28/2012 07:44:54 PM:

> From: drew <drew@baseanswers.com>

> To: ooo-marketing@incubator.apache.org,
> Date: 03/28/2012 07:45 PM
> Subject: Re: Open Office promotion event
>
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 22:06 +0200, Vadim Korsakov wrote:
> > I would like to organize an open office promotion event. I want to make
> > in the format of workshop which will tell to an audience why they should
> > use AOO and open document format in general. May be good idea is
> > providing cd's with AOO at the end of the workshop. In order to make
> > this event interesting I would like to make a kind of activities which
> > will leave positive emotions related to our product. Please give a tips
> > for activities during the workshop.
> >

> Hello Vadim,
>
> It seems your email got a bit lost in all the activity going on right
> now.
>
> First - it's great to hear of your interest in promoting AOO and ODF.
>
> The idea of a workshop, I suppose you also mean ideas for visual aids in
> describing the benefits of open standards and ODF specifically.
>
> One thought that comes to mind
>
> Two boxes.
>
> Inside each box place a note of some type - taped to the bottom of the
> box.
>
> Both boxes should be sealed shut.
>
> One box representing proprietary closed file formats is not finished.
>
> The other box, cut a rectangle out of the top cover of the box, so you
> can see into it - now cover that opening with a piece of paper and tape
> it down.
>
> Now pass them around and ask folks to tell you what is inside each box,
> what is written on the note.
>
> Of course no one can, as they can not see inside either box.
>
> last props - two more pieces of paper.
>
> One represents a standard EUL (end user license) and says that the
> design of the box is proprietary. Ask them if it helps them learn what
> is in the box... of course it is NO
>
> On the other paper write - Open Standard - and it reads. Lift flap of
> paper on top of box.
>
> They can see what is in the box and read the note, explain that this is
> the power of open standards.
>
> A little silly maybe..
>
> An AOO CD to hand out - currently there is not a resource for that which
> I could point you to. It is, in my estimation, unlikely that the project
> will continue to produce .iso images as was done in the past - of course
> if someone would volunteer to work on such a project the chances would
> go up enormously..hint hint.
>
> Standard materials for hand out - again currently there are none. There
> is a list of items under construction on the community wiki and again
> looking for volunteers to pick items and work on them. But even if you
> just work on some for yourself I would urge you to then donate what you
> create to the project and others could translate from Russian into their
> own languages.. and everyone benefits.
>
> I think that's it for this email - again I think it is great that you
> [...]

Regards,

Jacques Pavlenyi
Market Segment Manager
IBM Collaboration Solutions

Phone: 1-720-663-2067
E-mail:
jpavlenyi@us.ibm.com
Social Business Insights Blog:
ibm.co/wKv1lJ
Chat:
Sametime: jpavlenyi@us.ibm.com
Find me on:
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jjpavlenyi Twitter: http://twitter.com/mediamutt SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/mediamutt Blogger: http://mediamutt-us.blogspot.com and within IBM on: Lotus Connections: https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?key=e245b9d2-7a06-4ea5-bb90-48f3410e806e
"“Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.”" - Howard Aiken
IBM

4660 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122-4601
United States