From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:03:08 GMT
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> It is late for this idea, since we are probably only a week away from
>> release AOO 3.4.  But I think it is important to connect the dots on
>> this.  Is anyone willing to help with this over the next few days?
>>
>> I'd like to have a page on the website to help enthusiastic OpenOffice
>> users help us share the good news about Apache OpenOffice 3.4.   It
>> would enable the individual blogger, or even a user who is an active
>> social networking user, to help spread the news about the AOO 3.4
>> release.
>>
>> As we know, enthusiasm is not always matched by time-to-spare,
>> graphical skill, or deep knowledge about what is in the 3.4 release.
>> So putting this kind of information together, in one place, where it
>> is easy to consume and reuse, will be wonderful.
>>
>> Ideally, the page would have the following kind of content:
>>
>> 1) An AOO 3.4 "download" logo, that a blogger can use to link to
>> download.openoffice.org.  We have some proposed icons (from Drew)
>> here:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
>
> Is there any consensus around which one to use, but for the download one?

There are two logos there that are appropriate, the "download" and the
"get it here" ones.   Personally I think the "get it here" one would
work better.  The other one has the word "download" tightly
constrained under that arc of dots.  I think that would make it hard
to translate for languages that require a longer word to say
"download".

What do you think?

>> Maybe we can agree on one of these and get some common sizes rendered.
>> We probably need translations as well.
>>
>> 2) A short description of what Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is, from
>> perspective of a brand new user.  A paragraph or two, with some screen
>> shots.  Something a blogger can reuse or adapt. Again, we'll need
>> translations as well.
>>
>> 3) A short description of what is new in Apache OpenOffice 3.4, from
>> perspective of an existing OOo users.  Again, screen shots, and
>> translations.  No one has time to do original research.  Best to have
>> the basic facts already written up and allow the blogger to reuse the
>> information and add their own color commentary.
>
> I might get our creative marketing guys to help to craft some
> material, but I definitely need someone to tell us what's hot. I
> believe we can provide especially OpenOffice.org Windows users with
> good reasons to switch to the new release, right?

I'd start with the release notes on the wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Notes

That has the plain facts.

>> 4) Some interesting factoids about how AOO 3,4 was made. Maybe touch
>> on the new hosting of extensions/templates, # of lines of code
>> changed, the change to Apache license, etc.  What are the "fun facts"?
>
> About Extensions/Templates I'll write a blog entry at our SourceForge
> blog, so that you can grab some text or point to it.

That would be great.

>> 5) Any YouTube videos we want to link to?
>
> As above, if we can get the gist of what's new we can create a simple video too.
>
> Roberto
>
>> 6) A contact where they can go for more information.  Probably ooo-dev.
>>
>> 7) Anything else?
>>
>> Note that this is almost like a press kit or a  reviewers guide, but
>> targeting community supporters of AOO rather than accredited
>> journalists.  But a similar idea. Respect that they don't have time to
>> dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki.  If we want it
>> to happen, we need to make it easy for them.
>>
>> So who's in with this?  We don't have time to debate this for a week.
>> But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
>> items, then I think we can pull it off.  Maybe get it all done, in
>> English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
>> next week?
>>
>> -Rob
> ====
> This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your
system. Thank you.