From Terry <terauck-aoom...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Re: OpenOffice promotion tips
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 00:31:32 GMT
I don't get the metaphor but never mind that.  My observations are based on several years
of tracking forum posts and working in business environments.

1.  In my day (and I know things may have changed), most documents dispatched by an organisation
were (are) in hard copy form,  Bureaucracy still reigns supreme, so I doubt that much has
changed in that respect.  I know that the paper war I experience is as active as ever.
Format compatibility is not required for documents which will be printed before dispatch.

2.  Many documents are produced in an organisation for use within an organisation.  Compatibility
with other formats is not required for that.

3.  Many individuals who require compatibility do so in order to work with their employer's
documents.  If their employer uses the open document format so will they.

4.  Organisations raising issues on forums have, more often than not, been obliged to use
other software to gain the feature they need.  One issue which has surfaced a few times has
been the difficulty of enabling editing by more than one user at a time.  A recent one concerned
the lack of security for temporary files created by the software.

5.  The article cited refers to collaboration via the web.  If MSFT and Google see that
as a market worth providing for, we could pay it some attention.

Terry