From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where is the OpenOffice logo used?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:53:03 GMT
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Vadim Korsakov <vadim.finpm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am thinking also about general promotion of open office.
> I also think it would be a great idea to encourage companies who make
> proprietary software to include OpenOffice in their distributions. But I do
> not think that companies who make proprietary OS will include OOo in their
> distributions. In most cases they have their own office software that they
> need to promote.

A few ways to think of this:

1) It is entirely reasonable for us to make Apache OpenOffice into a
package that can be submitted to Linux distros and then made available
to users in their package catalog.  In some cases we might also be
installed by default.  But at the very least we can be listed in their
catalog so users can easily install OpenOffice.

2) With Windows 8, they will have an "App Store" where users can
browse and download software.  They will likely have technical and
packaging requirements for this, but it is probably worth our effort
to make sure that OpenOffice is very easy for Windows users to
download and install.

I'm not very worried about companies that have both operating systems
and applications discriminating against OpenOffice.   There is strong
regulatory pressure against companies using control over their OS to
discriminate against competitors in the applications market.

> We can also negotiate with different companies who produces all kinds of
> software except OS to include in their distributions open office as a bonus
> to a customer. In my opinion it can improve the popularity of a product.
> E.g. somebody buys an antivirus and gets a bonus office packet with the same
> DVD.

The bundling aspect is interesting as well.  But I'd focus more on
hardware vendors.  Today many PC's come with some version of Office
pre-installed.  Why not bundle Apache OpenOffice instead?  It allows
the hardware vendor to lower their costs to consumers, making them
more competitive.