From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: OpenOffice promotion tips
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:02:10 GMT
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Gianvittorio <gianvittorio@zandona.nl> wrote:

>        Rob,
>
>        This is what I know:
>
> http://oem.microsoft.com/public/worldwide/licensing/microsoft_oem_system_builder_licensing_guide_v2_012111.pdf
> [1]
>  Page 8
>  Office Starter 2010 licenses are available at $5 per license
>  Office Starter 2010 licenses as part of PC Essentials are available
> at $2 per license.
>
>        The starter licenses are a cost for the PC manufacturers. The
> distributors get to sell the licenses and obviously make a margin on
> selling those.

This is a good reference. It also tells us where they think MS Office
Starter is appropriate:

"Office Starter 2010 is designed for a very specific set of customers:
home users who are not yet ready to buy a full Office 2010 suite."

So that would also be a good target for OpenOffice.

This makes me think that we need to also get much more active on
Facebook, since that is a great way to reach out to home users, friend
to friend, family to family. Maybe posts and photographs saying  "Here
is what I bought with the money I saved by using Apache OpenOffice".

>        There has been a time in which MSFT was putting pressure on PC
> manufacturers to include Windows and not Linux on their hardware.
>  Dell broke ranks, licensed Ubuntu/Red Hat/Suse and delayed the
> introduction of Vista.
>  Since then I believe that MSFT became more helpful and convinced
> people not to go with Android on mini-laptops by keeping XP alive and
> lowering its price.
>  These days MSFT has a Windows7 Starter Edition and an Office Starter
> Edition (you can see the prices above) for that segment of the market.
>

>        I think that IBM is leading the way. They take Open Office, tweak it
> and make Symphony out of it. Could we not work with Acer to make Acer
> Office and HP to make HP Office, etc? The branding advantage would
> probably obscure the $5 price tag for the Starter Edition...

We had a good relationship with Lenovo, so we were able to make a deal
there.  The idea of having an "HP Office" or "Acer Office" is
interesting.  It would work well if they were also interested in
bundling an extension that connected the user to additional services,
like a cloud storage option that was available to users who had a
hardware maintenance contract.

-Rob