From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice promotion tips
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:43:10 GMT
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Gianvittorio <gianvittorio@zandona.nl> wrote:
> Vadim,
> Going to each single shop might be a good strategy, but did you consider going to a distributor
(somebody who sells to shops)?
> The issue is that I am not sure we have worked out a value proposition for the shops
(or distributors).
> Put down badly, these organizations are earning money when they sell other people's office
applications.
> They might face "retaliation" from the other office supplier if they start offering Open
Office

This is something we don't know the details on.  When a PC vendor
includes a time-bombed trial of MS Office, what is the financial
arrangement?  Is Microsoft paying the vendor to include the trial?
Does the hardware vendor get paid when the user upgrades/converts to
the full version of MS Office?  If so, this would be nearly impossible
to compete against.  Although moving to AOO could benefit the user (it
is free), the hardware vendor would lose money.

However, if a vendor bundles full copies of MS Office, then they are
passing the cost on to the user.  So a vendor that includes AOO can
offer a lower price compared to their competitors.

So I think the "sweet spot" would be lower-end ("value") Windows PC
and laptop vendors selling to price-conscious consumers.

-Rob

> What we need to work out is: why would they start giving out Open Office CDs and what
would make it worth going against the potential wrath of those other guys?