From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Funds are available for AOO marketing activities
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:27:53 GMT
Some of you may know me from the former OOo project. My primary
activity for about 8 years has been writing, editing, and publishing
user guides, and I was one of the last "Co-Leads" of the Documentation
Project. I've always had an interest in the marketing side as well,
and have helped organise and staff a few tables at events, but I never
had time to do more than that.

I am also involved (as Secretary-Treasurer) with an Australia-based
not-for-profit association, Friends of OpenDocument Inc., which
handles the money raised from sales of printed copies of OOo user
guides and other books. We are currently holding around AUD10,000
(more than USD10,000, or around EUR8,000 at current exchange rates) in
the OOo account, and more comes in each month. This money is available
to cover expenses that Apache can't or won't deal with, such as the
cost of marketing materials (including copies of the user guides) for
tables at events, attendance at events aimed at potential and actual
customers (librarians, educators, etc), or just about anything we
think would be valuable for spreading awareness.

We don't have a very formal process for people to request money, but
you would need to give enough info about what you want the money for,
how much, who's involved, and so on, so the Friends of OpenDocument
Inc's Management Committee can evaluate your request.

BTW, we welcome new members; no charge to join. Info on the website,
which is rarely updated except for financial statements and notices of
meetings required by law (and the minutes of those meetings).

--Jean
http://friendsofopendocument.com/