From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Funds are available for AOO marketing activities
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:36:09 GMT
Hi Jean,

On 2/22/12 7:27 AM, Jean Weber wrote:
> Some of you may know me from the former OOo project. My primary
> activity for about 8 years has been writing, editing, and publishing
> user guides, and I was one of the last "Co-Leads" of the Documentation
> Project. I've always had an interest in the marketing side as well,
> and have helped organise and staff a few tables at events, but I never
> had time to do more than that.

knowing what you are doing for the documentation is good, and now
knowing that you are also interested in marketing is better. I hope you
find time to help more ;-)

> I am also involved (as Secretary-Treasurer) with an Australia-based
> not-for-profit association, Friends of OpenDocument Inc., which
> handles the money raised from sales of printed copies of OOo user
> guides and other books. We are currently holding around AUD10,000
> (more than USD10,000, or around EUR8,000 at current exchange rates) in
> the OOo account, and more comes in each month. This money is available
> to cover expenses that Apache can't or won't deal with, such as the
> cost of marketing materials (including copies of the user guides) for
> tables at events, attendance at events aimed at potential and actual
> customers (librarians, educators, etc), or just about anything we
> think would be valuable for spreading awareness.

great and thank for sharing this info with us and especially the offer
to spend the money for OO marketing related things.

> We don't have a very formal process for people to request money, but
> you would need to give enough info about what you want the money for,
> how much, who's involved, and so on, so the Friends of OpenDocument
> Inc's Management Committee can evaluate your request.

informal and easy but working is always good ;-)

Juergen