From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:59:31 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will reiterate what I said earlier in this thread:
>
> <quote>

> We do not have the advantage of a huge, on the ground, community of advocates
> that LO has, so we have to get the media onside and to do that, we have to
> have a story worth publishing.  We need to create the story now.  We have the
> basis already, all we need to do is add to it so the it creates excitement and
> a buzz.
> <quote>

<snip>

> Right now we don't have a marketing team, the MarCons have mostly gone to LO,
> instead we have developers making marketing decisions and given the enmity
> that many seem to have to marketing,( "Puffery and posturing" was how it was
> described to me IIRC ) then it seems that  we are in danger of making
> marketing decisions that are not based on Enduser based research but on gut
> feelings of many who have little or no contact with front office endusers and
> who view marketing as an unnecessay evil.

OK.  So this raises two questions:

1) What should our marketing message be?

2) What capabilities do we have to carry out a campaign to deliver that message?

If we think our marketing capabilities are reduced, then it seems we either:

A) Do a poor job

B) Recruit more members

C) Push for a message that can be delivered using the capabilities we have.

A large rebranding effort would require greater effort to communicate.
 If we want to do that (and I don't have a strong opinion one way or
another on that) then we need a corresponding capability on the
marketing side.

So it might make sense, in parallel with discussing the actually
branding and the message, to survey what we have available to us now,
in terms of volunteers, tools, web properties, etc.  Maybe we have
more than we know about?

One thing we did not do when this list started was have a thread to
introduce ourselves and what our interest in ooo-marketing is.  Maybe
we should do that?

-Rob