From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 13:43:08 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 Dec 2011 12:30:48 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 03/12/2011 drew wrote:
>> > My best attempt was made to create new artwork which conforms to the
>> > design principles as described in the OpenOffice.org branding guidelines
>> > documentation.  ...
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>>
>> Thank you for your effort. Indeed your draft goes in what I also see as
>> the right direction: minimal changes to the OpenOffice.org logo in order
>> to show continuity with respect to OpenOffice.org and at the same time
>> introduce the new, slightly different, name.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>
> And I have to respectfully disagree.
>
> Again I repeat, as was forcefully expressed to me, this is an entirely
> different project, entirely different owners, entirely different community.
> To hang on to bits of the old is counterproductive whereas going with a new
> look and style has many advantages in terms of marketing, and remember that's
> all a name and logo is, part of the brand, a marketing tool.

It is not so absolute, black & white. In its 10-year history OOo had
staff turnover, people joining and leaving the project, as well as
plenty of changed code.

And at Apache many of the community members are from the previous
project, and the code is mostly the same.  We're bringing over the
wiki and website and forums and Bugzilla intact.

So it is a transition, but there is also a lot of continuity.

But regardless of the above, the marketing question is "What do we
want to users to think about the next release(s)",  I don't think we
want to have community transitions determine whether or not change the
brand.  It might be an opportunity to do so, but I think we should
evaluate this based on the merits as well as the capabilities of our
marketing team.

<snip>

> LibreOffice is a good example, they chose the name originally as a temporary
> standin in the hope that the TDF would be given the OOo brand, but they
> created the new brand and marketed it anyway.  Now they wouldn't want the OOo
> brand even if it was offered.  True, they were dragged kicking and screaming
> to it when they eventually accepted such a gift was not going to happen and
> thus their new brand was forced to become permanent, but it has worked for
> them.

That shows that rebranding is possible, with effort.  But I think they
would have even more traffic, more downloads and more users if they
had the OpenOffice name.

Think of it this way, we get more hits today than LO, even though we
have not had a release in nearly a year.

> We need new branding to get a conversation going in the market, I'm not sure
> if we can revisit the name before we graduate, I live in hope, we can at least
> start with a new look logo.

It is certainly possible to revisit the topic before graduation.

-Rob