From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:38:07 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I caught the announcement and the discussion.  Perhaps you didn't notice that
> I was one of the loudest cheer leaders. I have after all been waiting for some
> such contribution for years.  However all we have is posturing and no real
> evidence.  You yourself stated at that time: "we at IBM have not been
> exemplary community members when it came to OpenOffice.org." so you'll forgive
> me if I wait till I see hard evidence. Right now all we have is statements of
> intent.

Maybe you need to look beyond the marketing list, then?  The work IBM
is doing is on IP review and cleanup, a necessary prerequisite for
contributing Symphony.   The hard evidence is the code that is being
cleaned up by Juergen, Armin, Herbert, Andre and Oliver. This work is
all being done openly, on the list and in SVN.

A week does not pass without the Symphony team asking me, "Can we
contribute the Symphony code now?".  I just had a call with them this
morning, in fact.  They really want to do this, to make this work.
They are almost exploding with anticipation.  But we need to follow
the rules.  And when we check in code we need to make sure that we
have permission, per all relevant licenses, to do this.  And our
ability to check in code derived from OpenOffice.org code will not be
permitted until we first clear the code that Oracle contributed to
Apache.

-Rob