From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:02:31 GMT
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Graham Lauder <> wrote:

> My reasons are as follows:
> Apache hasn't dealt with any other consumer end products in the past, it
> doesn't have a profile in the consumer market space.  If I walked into Times
> Square in NY or Viaduct Basin in Auckland or The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin
> and asked 200 random people to name an Apache product, what sort of answers
> would I get.  If I asked "Do you recognise either of these names,
> and Apache Software foundation."
> What do you think the answers would be and how many would show recognition and
> what of?  I think I can predict, but I don't know, but I would be prepared to
> take clipboard in hand, do the hard yards and find out.

If you do decide to try such an experiment, it would be interesting to
try the same questions at the IT Director or above level as well.
Public and private sector.  Obviously OOo was a consumer brand, but
its use in corporations and government agencies was done by top-down
decision making, per organizational directives for a common desktop,
etc.  In those cases it was not a consumer, end-user decision.  I
would not be surprised if the Apache brand is far more familiar to IT
Directors, and with positive brand connotations that could enhance
Apache OpenOffice's appeal.

View raw message