From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:33:09 GMT
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> An useful low-friction case, for starters, would be use of the OOOUSER Community Wiki.
 It is archived and it permits comments.

> There is also the Roller aggregator.  I have been too lazy to figure out how to set
up a blog category that has a separate RSS feed that goes into the aggregator, but any committer
can do that and create a news stream.  That takes care of the RSS and it puts it on the Apache
site in the Roller aggregation.  (I forget the correct name for that.)

> Also, this moribund blog site that Terry complains about still has the second-highest
number of hits among the Apache Roller blogs.  Those are coming from somewhere.

Partially due to my efforts to cross-promote.  For example, the blog
post on the forum migration was linked to on a Twitter tweet, and then
retweeted 7 times.  That brought a reach of over 2000 users.  I can
also see (thank you, bit.ly) that from Twitter it was posted onto
Facebook and then shared further.

Again, we can diddle with Roller all we want, but unless you have a
connection to Facebook, Twitter and Google+ almost no one is going to
see our posts.  Think of Roller as a publication platform, but don't
expect that it generates its own audience.

-Rob