From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 04:48:29 GMT
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Terry <terauck-aoomark@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I suppose one's point of view is based on observation.  I spend little time on the likes
of Twitter and Facebook.  I still have accounts on stumbleupon, digg and slashdot.  Are
they still in the game?

Digg and Slashdot can drive big traffic.  I've had content from my
blog on Slashdot a few times, and you can easily get 50,000 - 100,000
visits from that, plus additional traffic from follow up articles.
But obviously only a small number of posts get prominent positions
there, and they tend to be ones that break news of broader interest,
are controversial, or both.  If we have a blog post that coincides
with our 3.4 release, it may have that kind of interest, especially if
we also have a good story for what we want to do in future releases as
well.

> What I see happening (because of where I look) is reporters, commentators and bloggers
picking up a news item and writing about it.  Not infrequently, the first article or blog
entry will be followed by a commentary by another writer.  The story gains currency by being
reported or discussed on one or more of many sites which focus on software.  Such articles
are also mentioned on forums.

That happens still, but Twitter and Google+ are so much easier that
many people are sharing small stories or reposting things that way
rather than writing a blog post.

Of course, this is not an exclusive either/or thing.  Many blog
platforms allow you to add "Tweet me" buttons, Google+ buttons, etc.

> A link which Dennis posted on the users' list ( http://stackoverflow.com/q/8418354 )
and the links which Rob posted recently on this list are worth publicising.  I suppose the
point I wanted to make is that they are worthy of more publicity than they get on the mailing
lists.  It's all very well for a few people on the lists to tweet or google+ and I don't
decry efforts like that.  I would just like to see something which can be picked up by more
people, meaning people involved in the project and interested observers.

> I replied to the question on stackoverflow by suggesting a post in the community forums.
>
> By the way, I did not intend to complain about the blog, merely to observe that in practice
it is an underused asset.

An accurate observation.  So what can we do about it?

We need topics and we need authors, and maybe we need editors.

I tried to set up a wiki page to collect ideas and for people to sign
up.  The idea was to create a pipeline of blogs posts so we have a
steady stream of them.  But when I made that proposal I received
nothing but grief.  Evidently, overt attempts at coordination are
anathema at Apache.

-Rob