From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Running an aggregation site for Apache OpenOffice project at paper.il
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 00:18:40 GMT
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> For those that are not familiar with http://paper.il it's a free (ad
> sponsered) service. The sight launched a bit over a year ago and I have
> been maintaining different configurations since almost day 1 - most of
> those, but not all[1], configurations (papers) dealt with
> OpenOffice.org, or LibreOffice or both. The service takes up to 10
> distinct data streams
>
> Recently I changed one of those configurations to generate 'The Apache
> OpenOffice(tm) Daily.
>
> Alright, for the most part of this last year my time was put, nearly
> exclusively to just one paper http://paper.il/libreofficevols/paper
>
> (unfortunately, or so it seems, getting a url such as that was something
> quickly lost to growth at the paper il service..now they are numeric
> only ... bummer[1])
>
> Dennis mentioned one other 'paper's in an earlier email
> - The Apache OpenOffice Daily, and I mentioned in the editors note, at
> same,  this was originally named The OpenOffice org Daily.
>
> So first thing on that - the url listed in Dennis' email is about to be
> removed, it is tied to the twitter account used when the paper
> configuration was initialized. I would much prefer do this, long term,
> using a twitter account not tied to that account - and focused with this
> particular use, driving aggregation style services, for now this
> singular instance
> - and I would like to treat (offer) this new twitter account as a shared
> resource with a limited number of community members, should there be any
> interested of course.
>
> Share the twitter account, and therefore the data stream for this - and
> the paper configuration.
>
> Here is the location I am planning on going forward with:
>
> http://paper.li/OUCVols/1323382478
>
> - sounds simple, 10 data streams, a mix of any of the following:
> Twitter account alone
> twitter account group (account + followers, lists)
> Twitter hash tag search (one tag per slot) + added filters
> Twitter text search + filters (one per paper)
> Facebook user account (one per slot)
> Facebook text search (one per paper)
>
> Building up the readership of the libo paper took attention on a regular
> basis over time, and still does.
>
> Finally - I would like to keep the background (not speaking of the logo
> on it, this moment) and think I can just do this, as it started as
> wallpaper donation on the oo.o wiki under GPL - I then altered it a bit
> for current colors and trimmed it down a bunch of bytes.
>
> The logo currently on the background is of the design suggestion I put
> to the wiki the other day - I'd like to use it, but I understand if
> folks think it's not a good idea today.. in that case I would like to ue
> the current OO.o logo in it's place.
>
> I suppose that's two questions:
> Long term can I use one of the logos on this particular web address?
> For the moment may I leave my design proposal?

Hi Drew, I like what you've done here.

As for logo use, I think we want to make it clear to the visitor
whether the site is:

1) An independent site run by an enthusiastic supporter of the project

or

2) An official service of the project, under PPMC oversight, albeit
hosted on non-Apache servers

There are many different sites that fit into category #1.  For
example, http://planetopenoffice.org/

My personal opinion is such sites should not use the project logo, but
could use the product name, provided there was a suitable disclaimer
making it clear that it was not an official AOO service.

Ideally, we'd develop some sort of "I support Apache OpenOffice" or "I
<heart> Apache OpenOffice" or similar logo that such websites can use,
that are based on, but not identical to the official logo.

But if you think this "paper" is a service more like #2, then I don't
think trademarks are an issue.  We just need to make sure that other
project volunteers can have input, that discussions related to the
site take place on ooo-dev, decisions related to it are decided here,
etc.  As an official project site, we could even link to it from our
website.

> Thanks for you time on this,

No, thank you.

-Rob