From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:24:47 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 04:31:19 Donald Harbison wrote:
>> There has been some Twitter activity calling attention to today's release
>> of the IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer[1] and the November 18th release of same
>> on Android Marketplace.[2]
>> While these are currently carrying the IBM branding, they work with most
>> ODF emitting applications including OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. Give them
>> a try!
>>
>> [1] http://s.apache.org/YGW <http://s.apache.org/YGW>
>> [2] http://bit.ly/tc7Un2 <http://t.co/7PoElUds>
>
> Until such time as we see concrete evidence of IBM promises being actually
> fulfilled with regard to open sourcing of Symphony, then this is just spam and
> nothing that this list needs to know.

Maybe you didn't catch this discussion earlier. Symphony is based on
OpenOffice,og.  The OpenOffice.org code was contributed to Apache,
with a Software Grant Agreement that put many of its source files
under the Apache 2.0 license instead of the LGPL that OpenOffice.org
originally had.  We're now in the process of reviewing all of code,
reconciling that with the SGA, and replacing components that are not
included in the SGA and which have incompatible licenses, e.g., 3rd
party copyleft components.

Until this IP review phase is completed and accepted, IBM don't have
the right to contribute the Symphony source code under the Apache 2.0
license.   In other words, successful completion of the IP review is a
prerequisite for IBM contributing Symphony code with its own SGA.

Since IBM engineers are working hard in the community to do this IP
review, and to clean up this code, in preparation for their SGA, I
think your comments are a bit severe.

-Rob