From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 16:18:30 GMT
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Terry <terauck-aoomark@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I was able to re-tweet, nothing more.  The reddit link got a page displaying the message
"there doesn't seem to be anything here."

Hmmm... works for me.  Anyone else?

> This piecemeal approach I think is ineffective.  What would be much better is a 'news'
page where such items as Eric Bachard's blog can be mentioned and linked, similar to the technique
which has been used by tuxmachines.org for years.  I follow that site because it gathers
material from many sources relating to subjects which interest me.

> Ideally, one would be able to get a news feed from such a page.  I note that the AOO
blog is virtually dormant.  It could be an entry on a news page with some worthwhile material;
on its own, it is not worth following.

There are two parts to this:  the message and the distribution of the
message.  For messages we can have quick, ad-hoc bits of information
we want to get out, up to longer article length pieces.  I'd expect
that shorter bits of information could come from anyone at any time.

For distribution we have a few things:

 -- project blog.  This is official, but currently has almost zero
visibility.  I'd think of it as a way of the project making
semi-official statements, but more work would need to be done to
direct traffic to the blog.

-- personal blogs, social media  -- several of us have blogs or other
means of out reach, within our person control, that have a reach that
far exceeds the project blog or our mailing lists.  I see this as a
way of amplifying the messages we want to get out.

-- semi-official social media accounts.   There are "OpenOffice"
Twitter, Facebook, Google+ accounts that are run by individuals, but
not currently under control of the PPMC.  They have a broad audience,
but are not coordinated with the rest of the project.

So creating a new "destination" for news stories related to AOO is
easy.  Getting users to visit that news source is nearly impossible.
I think that any successful outreach will need to rely on some
coordination among the official distribution channels (project blog),
the personal social networks of PPMC members and the OOo-branded
social network accounts.  Right now this coordination is done
informally and rather poorly.  Certainly room for improvement.

-Rob