From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Participation
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:16:05 GMT
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Oracle
> >      - etc. this work is mostly now completed.
> >   - a Developer Release is soon to be posted; this will begin a new stage
> >   in the technical work requiring:
> >      - Testing
> >      - Translation
> >      - Marketing ... sharing the progress locally in your local language.
> >      - Call-to-action to developers who may offer to work on the testing
> >      and translation efforts.
> >   - the next major version of Apache OpenOffice --- everyone wants to
> >   start to discuss this, and I'm sure it will begin to be an exciting
> topic
> >   when we being 2012.
>
> These are a great set of points for the project Blog, www.openoffice.org (
> ooo-site.apache.org) and incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.mdtext.
>
> As mdtext this is:
>
> OpenOffice.org is now in the hands of the Apache Software Foundation,
> and is open to all. Participation and contribution is an individual
> decision.
>
> We will move forward with a modified brand, 'Apache OpenOffice' in the
> future.
>
> The developer talent in the project has been making a lot of progress on
> preparing the foundation:
>
> * Moved the [bugzilla][bz] from its former home at Oracle.
> * Moved the [wiki][wiki] from its former home at Oracle.
> * Moved the [user forums][fora] from their former home at Oracle.
> * Nightly builds of the [svn trunk][svn] for Ubuntu with Windows and Mac
> in progress.
> * About to move the [web site][www] from its former home at Oracle.
> * The Apache Software Foundation is preparing a Pootle Server.
> * [Extensions][ext] and [templates][tmpl] are being moved to ASF
> Infrastructure
>
> [Donations][fund] to the [ASF][asf] support [OpenOffice.org][ooo]
>
> This will begin a new stage in the technical work requiring:
>
> * Testing
> * Translation.
> * Marketing ... sharing the progress locally in your local language.
> * Call-to-action to developers who may offer to work on the testing and
> translation efforts.
>
> The next major version of Apache OpenOffice --- everyone wants to start to
> discuss this, and I'm sure it will begin to be an exciting topic when we
> being 2012.
>
> [wiki]: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/
> [fora]: http://user.services.openoffice.org/
> [svn]: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html
> [www]: http://ooo-site.apache.org/
> [fund]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
> [asf]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/
> [ooo]: http://www.openoffice.org/
> [ext]: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/
> [tmpl]: http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
>
> --
>
> Edits? Anyone? What will users think? Let's improve this message.
>
> We need to articulate how the project moves from developer release to
Apache release, and forward to a next generation Apache release down the
calendar. As part of these messages, there's a need to reinforce that if
users are happy with their current version of OpenOffice, there's nothing
wrong with continuing to be happy until they see something compelling come
along in a future release. For me, that will be the next generation release
which has not yet been fully discussed, explored and sketched on list.

In the meantime, a simple progress report is helpful. Putting it out on the
Apache blog won't reach users. We'll need to marshall social media tactics
to have a shot at that. The full monty of twitter, facebook, posting to
fora we know still have active user communities, asking our colleagues 'in
country' to translate for their language and communicate the progress...all
of this.

Make sense?