From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Participation
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 00:06:22 GMT
Welcome from me as well... it's great to see new folks step up.

Some of our community have deep experience with the OpenOffice.org
marketing efforts that have been successful in the past. I'd like to invite
them (Graham, Ian, Louis,  I'm pointing at you. :)  ) ...to lend a virtual
hand to help make some suggestions for you.

Of course, it's always best to familiarize yourself with what's happening
currently and that in itself can be a challenge. Just jump in to the
ooo-dev list where you'll see a full range of discussion on alot of topics.
Yes, it's chaotic and confusing, but if you read through the posts, you'll
get a sense of what's going on, and be as expert as anyone else in these
matters after making this time investment.

May I suggest that you think 'local' but 'act global'. The project needs
local ambassadors that can communicate clearly and effectively that:

   - OpenOffice.org is now in the hands of the Apache Software Foundation,
   and is open to all. Participation and contribution is an individual
   decision.
   - We will move forward with a modified brand, 'Apache OpenOffice' in the
   future.
   - The developer talent in the project has been making alot of progress
   on preparing the foundation:
      - moving wiki(s)...from its former home at Oracle
      - moving forum(s) ...from its former home at Oracle
      - moving the web site infrastructure ...from its former home at Oracle
      - etc. this work is mostly now completed.
   - a Developer Release is soon to be posted; this will begin a new stage
   in the technical work requiring:
      - Testing
      - Translation
      - Marketing ... sharing the progress locally in your local language.
      - Call-to-action to developers who may offer to work on the testing
      and translation efforts.
   - the next major version of Apache OpenOffice --- everyone wants to
   start to discuss this, and I'm sure it will begin to be an exciting topic
   when we being 2012.