From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 04:26:05 GMT
Graham,

I think we need to separate your response into two categories.

(1) Items worth discussing.

(2) Items where Apache is proving itself capable. From the marketing point of view contributions
to the ASF, while not targeted, will, in all reality, pay for any infrastructure improvements
that might be required.

Further replies inline.

On Dec 17, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 Dec 2011 02:38:18 Shane Curcuru wrote:
>> One specific comment:
>>
>> On 2011-12-11 7:50 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
>> ...snip...
>>
>>> We, as in the project, neither had the cajones (or in my case didn't know
>>> that whatever is set in stone, isn't actually.)  to go to the board or
>>> IPMC or whoever and say:  "These are the reasons we need to NOT have
>>> apache in front of OpenOffice.org!"
>>
>> Including Apache as a prefix to the name is required, period.  This is
>> one of the invariants of any project that the ASF hosts.
>>
>> Given the fact that we have lots of new energy and opportunities ahead,
>> plus the fact that this PPMC runs the existing openoffice.org domain
>> (arguably, one of the biggest marketing assets from OOo land), I think
>> there is a lot to be happy about, even if the actual product/project
>> name does need to change.
>>
>> - Shane, VP, Brand Management
>
> The statement that has been repeated on a number of occasions is:
> in the ASF "Nothing is immutable".
>
> This particular issue needs to be mutable.
>
> My reasons are as follows:
> Apache hasn't dealt with any other consumer end products in the past, it
> doesn't have a profile in the consumer market space.  If I walked into Times
> Square in NY or Viaduct Basin in Auckland or The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin
> and asked 200 random people to name an Apache product, what sort of answers
> would I get.  If I asked "Do you recognise either of these names,
> OpenOffice.org and Apache Software foundation."
>
> What do you think the answers would be and how many would show recognition and
> what of?  I think I can predict, but I don't know, but I would be prepared to
> take clipboard in hand, do the hard yards and find out.

They would recognize OpenOffice more than Apache and OpenOffice.org.

> Secondly in terms of negative brand image, is the Apache infrastructure
> capable of serving up just shy of 300,000 downloads an hour, for months on
> end) and that approx 130 Mb per download.   We have had complaints about
> bandwidth usage by the extensions site, demand for  which is miniscule by
> comparison

The ASF uses many of the same mirrors that OpenOffice.org does. It is just done differently.

Keep in mind that well over half of all web servers are Apache HTTPD Servers!

> So the question is when the servers choke when we do our first release
> (As Suns servers did for about 4 or 5 days after 3.0):  Whose brand is going
> to take the hammering? Obviously because people will come to download OOo, it
> will be that brand that takes flack, not  Apache.

If you gather some statistics about that event then once we know what the size of the next
release might be then calculations can be made.

> These things are the reality of a successful consumer space product.
> Maybe  Apache's brand awareness will lift by hanging on to OOo's
> coattails, I don't know, but other than "It's Policy!" there is no good reason
> to prefer Apache as prefix over tagline, either works for the  Apache brand,
> but the tagline doesn't dilute OOo's brand as badly as the prefix does.

You have been wanting to form a marketing campaign. You are welcome. Please join in the discussions
on ooo-dev. Ross is working on the Open Letter, a long running thread.

Best Regards,
Dave