From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Participation
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 00:44:33 GMT
Hi Don,

Welcome everyone! The project needs a progress message and anyone can help!

On Dec 16, 2011, at 7:06 PM, Donald Harbison wrote:

> Welcome from me as well... it's great to see new folks step up.
>
> Some of our community have deep experience with the OpenOffice.org
> marketing efforts that have been successful in the past. I'd like to invite
> them (Graham, Ian, Louis,  I'm pointing at you. :)  ) ...to lend a virtual
> hand to help make some suggestions for you.
>
> Of course, it's always best to familiarize yourself with what's happening
> currently and that in itself can be a challenge. Just jump in to the
> ooo-dev list where you'll see a full range of discussion on alot of topics.
> Yes, it's chaotic and confusing, but if you read through the posts, you'll
> get a sense of what's going on, and be as expert as anyone else in these
> matters after making this time investment.
>
> May I suggest that you think 'local' but 'act global'. The project needs
> local ambassadors that can communicate clearly and effectively that:

You have a great start to a status message in the following. I provide an mdtext rewrite below
it.

>   - OpenOffice.org is now in the hands of the Apache Software Foundation,
>   and is open to all. Participation and contribution is an individual
>   decision.
>   - We will move forward with a modified brand, 'Apache OpenOffice' in the
>   future.
>   - The developer talent in the project has been making alot of progress
>   on preparing the foundation:
>      - moving wiki(s)...from its former home at Oracle
>      - moving forum(s) ...from its former home at Oracle
>      - moving the web site infrastructure ...from its former home at Oracle
>      - etc. this work is mostly now completed.
>   - a Developer Release is soon to be posted; this will begin a new stage
>   in the technical work requiring:
>      - Testing
>      - Translation
>      - Marketing ... sharing the progress locally in your local language.
>      - Call-to-action to developers who may offer to work on the testing
>      and translation efforts.
>   - the next major version of Apache OpenOffice --- everyone wants to
>   start to discuss this, and I'm sure it will begin to be an exciting topic
>   when we being 2012.

These are a great set of points for the project Blog, www.openoffice.org (ooo-site.apache.org)
and incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.mdtext.

As mdtext this is:

OpenOffice.org is now in the hands of the Apache Software Foundation,
and is open to all. Participation and contribution is an individual decision.

We will move forward with a modified brand, 'Apache OpenOffice' in the future.

The developer talent in the project has been making a lot of progress on preparing the foundation:

* Moved the [bugzilla][bz] from its former home at Oracle.
* Moved the [wiki][wiki] from its former home at Oracle.
* Moved the [user forums][fora] from their former home at Oracle.
* Nightly builds of the [svn trunk][svn] for Ubuntu with Windows and Mac in progress.
* About to move the [web site][www] from its former home at Oracle.
* The Apache Software Foundation is preparing a Pootle Server.
* [Extensions][ext] and [templates][tmpl] are being moved to ASF Infrastructure

[Donations][fund] to the [ASF][asf] support [OpenOffice.org][ooo]

[wiki]: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/
[fora]: http://user.services.openoffice.org/
[svn]: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html
[www]: http://ooo-site.apache.org/
[fund]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
[asf]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/
[ooo]: http://www.openoffice.org/
[ext]: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/
[tmpl]: http://templates.services.openoffice.org/

--

Edits? Anyone? What will users think? Let's improve this message.

The blog is at https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/

The main project page is at http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

---

The project also needs help with http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html