From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:50:42 GMT
On Monday 19 Dec 2011 04:02:31 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My reasons are as follows:
> > Apache hasn't dealt with any other consumer end products in the past, it
> > doesn't have a profile in the consumer market space.  If I walked into
> > Times Square in NY or Viaduct Basin in Auckland or The Brandenburg Gate
> > in Berlin and asked 200 random people to name an Apache product, what
> > sort of answers would I get.  If I asked "Do you recognise either of
> > these names, OpenOffice.org and Apache Software foundation."
> >
> > What do you think the answers would be and how many would show
> > recognition and what of?  I think I can predict, but I don't know, but I
> > would be prepared to take clipboard in hand, do the hard yards and find
> > out.
>
> If you do decide to try such an experiment, it would be interesting to
> try the same questions at the IT Director or above level as well.
> Public and private sector.  Obviously OOo was a consumer brand, but
> its use in corporations and government agencies was done by top-down
> decision making, per organizational directives for a common desktop,
> etc.  In those cases it was not a consumer, end-user decision.  I
> would not be surprised if the Apache brand is far more familiar to IT
> Directors, and with positive brand connotations that could enhance
> Apache OpenOffice's appeal.
>
> -Rob

Indeed, I had considered this as a market segment, especially as this is
generally the group that I work with in my corporate training work.  However,
it is a group that is notoriously conservative and they would know the OOo
brand already, but many live by the mantra "Nobody got sacked for buying MS".
Believe me, I have some stories that are pretty headscratching from this
group.

However, that's all survey design work, let's get the horse in the traces
before we push the cart off.

Cheers
GL