From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 14:08:51 GMT

wrote:

> ...snipity snip snip...
>
> > There are only two real options, The brand with history that we build on
> > or an entirely new brand that gives us the oppportunity to start with a
> > roar, (Personally I liked ApacheO as the brand but...)  What has been
> > chosen is a timid reaction without any research or real reasoning other
> > than people going with something easy and what seems to be low risk.
>
> The new name was chosen by the people who are doing the work in the
> PPMC.  That's a fundamental part of The Apache Way: the people doing the
> actual work in the project get to decide.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't, what I am saying is that they shouldn't
make an ill-informed choice.

> This is a huge part of what
> has ensured that many of the other almost 100 Apache projects have
> continued - even in the face of one of the major employers of committers
> on the project happens to change direction due to some external reason.

No other Apache project exists in a unsophisticated consumer market.  Any
decision on branding has to be informed by that simple fact

> > All the market and user research used to be done by Sun or it's
> > contractors that is something we will need to do now.
>
> Great!  What kind of research are you volunteering to do for the project?

Well I wouldn't be prattling on about it if I wasn't going to do it, my
problem is, if I do it will there be any point.  I don't want to waste energy
time and money if the results are just going to be ignored and decisions made
based on either gut or wild assumption while ignoring the research because it
doesn't fit with assumptions.

 And unlike code I can't do it on my own, otherwise the results will be skewed
according to a single location.  As I said in another mail I'm prepared grab a
clipboard and do the hard yards, anyone else.

Cheers
GL