From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:54:59 GMT
On Wednesday 14 Dec 2011 02:38:18 Shane Curcuru wrote:
> One specific comment:
>
> On 2011-12-11 7:50 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> > We, as in the project, neither had the cajones (or in my case didn't know
> > that whatever is set in stone, isn't actually.)  to go to the board or
> > IPMC or whoever and say:  "These are the reasons we need to NOT have
> > apache in front of OpenOffice.org!"
>
> Including Apache as a prefix to the name is required, period.  This is
> one of the invariants of any project that the ASF hosts.
>
> Given the fact that we have lots of new energy and opportunities ahead,
> plus the fact that this PPMC runs the existing openoffice.org domain
> (arguably, one of the biggest marketing assets from OOo land), I think
> there is a lot to be happy about, even if the actual product/project
> name does need to change.
>
> - Shane, VP, Brand Management

The statement that has been repeated on a number of occasions is:
in the ASF "Nothing is immutable".

This particular issue needs to be mutable.

My reasons are as follows:
Apache hasn't dealt with any other consumer end products in the past, it
doesn't have a profile in the consumer market space.  If I walked into Times
Square in NY or Viaduct Basin in Auckland or The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin
and asked 200 random people to name an Apache product, what sort of answers
would I get.  If I asked "Do you recognise either of these names,
OpenOffice.org and Apache Software foundation."

What do you think the answers would be and how many would show recognition and
what of?  I think I can predict, but I don't know, but I would be prepared to
take clipboard in hand, do the hard yards and find out.

Secondly in terms of negative brand image, is the Apache infrastructure
capable of serving up just shy of 300,000 downloads an hour, for months on
end) and that approx 130 Mb per download.   We have had complaints about
bandwidth usage by the extensions site, demand for  which is miniscule by
comparison

So the question is when the servers choke when we do our first release
(As Suns servers did for about 4 or 5 days after 3.0):  Whose brand is going
to take the hammering? Obviously because people will come to download OOo, it
will be that brand that takes flack, not  Apache.

These things are the reality of a successful consumer space product.
Maybe  Apache's brand awareness will lift by hanging on to OOo's
coattails, I don't know, but other than "It's Policy!" there is no good reason
to prefer Apache as prefix over tagline, either works for the  Apache brand,
but the tagline doesn't dilute OOo's brand as badly as the prefix does.

Cheers
GL