From Graham Lauder <>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:24:53 GMT
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 10:59:31 Rob Weir wrote:

> OK.  So this raises two questions:
> 1) What should our marketing message be?

I think I've already covered this if not in so many words:  The Revival, the
New Beginning!  which lead us to THIS big thing or mountain of features in 4.0
("This Big Thing" TBA)

> 2) What capabilities do we have to carry out a campaign to deliver that
> message?

Depends on the campaign, depends on whether we will have a budget, I'd like to
ask Team OOo but that might be seen as treachery or something.

I will add a comment here though: I have a problem with this running about the
place smacking anyone over who displays the logo and publicises the fact that
they are OOo supporters or does something that is in support of OOo.   All
this demanding that logo be only available to the project will really hammer
our brand recognition.  The whole thing smacks of a dictatorial corporate
attitude that reflects a Cathedral builder's mentality rather than the bazaar
of which OOo is part.  We should be getting the brand out there in any way we
can.  That was the great thing about the original logo, there was no
confusion, the logo was a web address.  Apache people might find that
confusing, I sure as hell don't and it is one reason why I have advocated for
many years over retaining the .org in the brand.

CTR should apply to logo use as well i.e:  Use the logo as is with the graphic
linked to  Permission to use is automatic with those simple
criteria unless someone complains.

Brand recognition is our achilles heel, anything that affects that negatively
should be a nono, anything that gets it into the public eye should be

> If we think our marketing capabilities are reduced, then it seems we
> either:
> A) Do a poor job

Not an option, our past corporate partners managed to do that even with so
called professional PR companies steering the campaign, I doubt that we could
do any worse although we don't know what restrictions will be placed on us.

> B) Recruit more members

The best way to do this is give people the oppportunity to contribute to a new
brand.  Allow them to take ownership of it and they will come and bring their
passion with them.  Stay wedded to the old and you limit the motivation to
participate. Good Marketing people thrive on new challenges.

> C) Push for a message that can be delivered using the capabilities we have.

We do have some people within the project, such as yourself and Simon Phipps,
who, given your profiles in the industry, have large numbers following your
blogs, that is certainly something we can leverage off given that some of
those followers will be journos.

The chances of significant numbers of End Users subscribing to Apache lists or
RSS feeds is small, so that resource will probably be only useful to
communicate to those withg local contacts.  We need to get to the broader
media, broadsheet, trade mags, magazine CDs, radio and TV.    I made the point
earlier on, that this opportunity is a oncer.  We have a compelling story that
has to likely

> A large rebranding effort would require greater effort to communicate.
>  If we want to do that (and I don't have a strong opinion one way or
> another on that) then we need a corresponding capability on the
> marketing side.

The effort would be no greater than that required to lift OOo out of the
doldrums and launch the new name.  I would prefer the old name with a new look
in terms of making the marketing job easier.

> So it might make sense, in parallel with discussing the actually
> branding and the message, to survey what we have available to us now,
> in terms of volunteers, tools, web properties, etc.  Maybe we have
> more than we know about?

Indeed, I have voiced the need for research before,  a necessary part of any
SWOT analysis

> One thing we did not do when this list started was have a thread to
> introduce ourselves and what our interest in ooo-marketing is.  Maybe
> we should do that?

Probably not a bad idea, but not essentially necessary, not for me tonite, I
need sleep and too much of my spare time is consumed on here already, another
day perhaps.

View raw message