From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:18:03 GMT
On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 07:24:47 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 04:31:19 Donald Harbison wrote:
> >> There has been some Twitter activity calling attention to today's
> >> release of the IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer[1] and the November 18th
> >> release of same on Android Marketplace.[2]
> >> While these are currently carrying the IBM branding, they work with most
> >> ODF emitting applications including OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. Give
> >> them a try!
> >>
> >> [1] http://s.apache.org/YGW <http://s.apache.org/YGW>
> >> [2] http://bit.ly/tc7Un2 <http://t.co/7PoElUds>
> >
> > Until such time as we see concrete evidence of IBM promises being
> > actually fulfilled with regard to open sourcing of Symphony, then this
> > is just spam and nothing that this list needs to know.
>
> Maybe you didn't catch this discussion earlier. Symphony is based on
> OpenOffice,og.  The OpenOffice.org code was contributed to Apache,
> with a Software Grant Agreement that put many of its source files
> under the Apache 2.0 license instead of the LGPL that OpenOffice.org
> originally had.  We're now in the process of reviewing all of code,
> reconciling that with the SGA, and replacing components that are not
> included in the SGA and which have incompatible licenses, e.g., 3rd
> party copyleft components.
>
> Until this IP review phase is completed and accepted, IBM don't have
> the right to contribute the Symphony source code under the Apache 2.0
> license.   In other words, successful completion of the IP review is a
> prerequisite for IBM contributing Symphony code with its own SGA.

I caught the announcement and the discussion.  Perhaps you didn't notice that
I was one of the loudest cheer leaders. I have after all been waiting for some
such contribution for years.  However all we have is posturing and no real
evidence.  You yourself stated at that time: "we at IBM have not been
exemplary community members when it came to OpenOffice.org." so you'll forgive
me if I wait till I see hard evidence. Right now all we have is statements of
intent.

Don't get me wrong, I await with eager anticipation to see Symphony code
adding to OOo.  In fact if I were to pinpoint a single item from Symphony that
I would want to have included in OOo it would be the mail merge feature.  The
present mail merge has been a blocker for corporate uptake for as long as I've
been a MarCon.

> Since IBM engineers are working hard in the community to do this IP
> review, and to clean up this code, in preparation for their SGA, I
> think your comments are a bit severe.

Not severe at all, if it had popped up in my moderation queue I would have
blocked it.

Symphony marketing announcements have no place on this list at this point in
time. In the future I look forward to that changing.

Cheers
GL