From Graham Lauder <>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:50:51 GMT
On Sunday 11 Dec 2011 12:30:48 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 03/12/2011 drew wrote:
> > My best attempt was made to create new artwork which conforms to the
> > design principles as described in the branding guidelines
> > documentation.  ...
> >
> Thank you for your effort. Indeed your draft goes in what I also see as
> the right direction: minimal changes to the logo in order
> to show continuity with respect to and at the same time
> introduce the new, slightly different, name.
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

And I have to respectfully disagree.

Again I repeat, as was forcefully expressed to me, this is an entirely
different project, entirely different owners, entirely different community.
To hang on to bits of the old is counterproductive whereas going with a new
look and style has many advantages in terms of marketing, and remember that's
all a name and logo is, part of the brand, a marketing tool.

We, as in the project, neither had the cajones (or in my case didn't know that
whatever is set in stone, isn't actually.)  to go to the board or IPMC or
whoever and say:  "These are the reasons we need to NOT have apache in front

Neither did we have the cajones to take the bull by the horns and reflect the
reality of the situation and come up with a name as equally new as the

What the present situation shows to the world at large is that the project is
mired in the past and is lacking in imagination.

LibreOffice is a good example, they chose the name originally as a temporary
standin in the hope that the TDF would be given the OOo brand, but they
created the new brand and marketed it anyway.  Now they wouldn't want the OOo
brand even if it was offered.  True, they were dragged kicking and screaming
to it when they eventually accepted such a gift was not going to happen and
thus their new brand was forced to become permanent, but it has worked for

We need new branding to get a conversation going in the market, I'm not sure
if we can revisit the name before we graduate, I live in hope, we can at least
start with a new look logo.

View raw message