From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 01:01:19 GMT
On Wednesday 07 Dec 2011 10:32:22 Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi -

Hi Dave,

> Sorry about the top-post.
>
> We are getting close to - within a couple of weeks to migrating the
> www.openoffice.org website - which will have the legacy logo.
>
> At the same time there will be pointers to the project page. We need to
> have a different logo and branding to show some distinction.
>
> I think a version of Drew's logo is a good place to start with the
> Project's Logo.
>
> I can agree with the desire to have a whole branding strategy, but I think
> we need to move and there is no time for a competition.
>
> In my favorite sport - Ultimate Frisbee - it is time to huck it long and
> see if it is caught.

In Rugby that's kick it high up and under see where it bounces.  :)

However, this sort of action occurs when things are getting desperate.  We're
not desperate yet and nothing good ever came of rushing into something without
good reasoning.

> Another way - there are three threads for branding.
>
> (1) Legacy 3.3 and below w/openoffice.org website - keeps current brand.
> (2) Project w/ incubator podling site and probable openoffice.apache.org
> TLP - needs to be different from Legacy. (3) AOO 4.0 Branding - needs big
> marketing and branding strategy.
>
> Does this make sense?

 To my way of thinking, given where we are right now, the reasons for a new
face out weigh the reasons for keeping the old one.

I'll reitterate something that I have harped on about for a number of years.

Marketing OOo is a completely different beast from traditional marketing.

There are a number of reasons:

First OOo is an Internet product, the majority of people get their OOo via
download and the vast majority heard about it either by internet search,
magazine articles or word of mouth.  A miniscule number heard of it through
advertising or a high level cross media paid marketing campaign.  (Although
there was a graphic campaign run on buses in Seattle once which was very cool
on the oppositions back doorstep,  :)  though not sure how effective that was,
we never got feedback.  But well done the Sun guys.)

Now despite some protestations to the contrary, the Internet is a textual
medium So our strongest branding element is a string of text  14 characters
long in camel case *OpenOffice.org*.  Do a search on google for that string of
characters... I got 25.9 million hits.  Do the same for OpenOffice Logo in
image search and I get around 2 million but past the sixth page the actual
logo features hardly at all.

We do not, and have never had, a sufficient marketing budget (and for a global
brand, it's substantial) to lift our logo recognition.  Brand recognition has
always been our achilles heel, but in terms of that, the character string is
by far our most recognisable branding element, because we exist in a textual
medium.  Wacking the Apache name on the front has substantially diluted that,
it's like MacDonalds suddenly changing the colour and the font of the big M.
We didn't choose this, but given the inflexible rules it's the baton we've
been handed,. so we have to run with it.

However, on every cloud there is a silver lining, we get to launch a whole new
and improved product with a fresh look and a fresh name.

The present Logo hardly registers on the consciousness outside the community,
so getting a new logo now is not likely to affect brand recognition by
anything other than a miniscule amount and is more likely in fact to increase
it at this juncture.

The critical factor is that we only get to do this once.  It's not like code
where if something doesn't work, we'll try something else.  We can't relaunch
the project multiple times until we get it right.  This is a oncer.

This moment will define the project in the market for the forseeable future.
I would love to have a budget so that we could actually shape the message to
suit ourselves, but that is unlikely.

We do not have the advantage of a huge, on the ground, community of advocates
that LO has, so we have to get the media onside and to do that we have to have
a story worth publishing.  We need to create the story now.  We have the basis
already, all we need to do is add to it so the it creates excitement and a
buzz.

New owners, a vibrant community of hackers and users, new look and image and a
raft of revolutionary features aimed at toppling the monopolist into second
place in the Office Suite space.

That's our story, we have to mean it and we have to look like we mean it..
Do it now, start as we mean to go on.

Cheers