From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 07:12:38 GMT
On Tuesday 06 Dec 2011 14:09:53 Terry wrote:
> I was able to re-tweet, nothing more.  The reddit link got a page
> displaying the message "there doesn't seem to be anything here."
>
> This piecemeal approach I think is ineffective.  What would be much better
> is a 'news' page where such items as Eric Bachard's blog can be mentioned
> and linked, similar to the technique which has been used by
> tuxmachines.org for years.  I follow that site because it gathers material
> from many sources relating to subjects which interest me.
>
> Ideally, one would be able to get a news feed from such a page.  I note
> that the AOO blog is virtually dormant.  It could be an entry on a news
> page with some worthwhile material; on its own, it is not worth following.
>

> Regards, Terry

Piecemeal is indeed ineffective outside of "the choir".  In order to reach a
wider audience any announcement has to have some wow factor.  Proprietary
folks get over the "feature leak" with the vapourware concept.

So use the SVG support as a lever to get a broader message out.

Let's talk about AOO 4.0 and the features and improvements that we will be
launching with that.
We need to ask/answer a few questions: what are devs working on right now,
(other than IP clearance)?  What itches are being scratched? What are the
communities desires in terms of a feature set?  In the perfect universe, what
will be the sum of all the new features that will launch with AOO 4.0.0.?
Offer up an approx target date, say Q3 2012.

Put that together as a release so that we build anticipation and then mention
in passing that there will be a 3.4 release which will indeed have the SVG
support. Add: "Please use and send feedback." with links to the user forums.

Name names: "Armin Legrand's SVG hack" show a community that recognises it's
people's efforts.

Some will say "They'll never do it", "It's just vapour." Others will be
cheering our ambitions. Either way there will be anticipation and a
conversation..

Cheers
GL