From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 07:12:03 GMT
On Tuesday 06 Dec 2011 18:57:46 Terry wrote:
> The next release will be installed by people who are familiar with the name
> and branding of OpenOffice.  Most may well not even have heard of the
> ASF.  The name 'OpenOffice' alone may not necessarily be sufficient to
> identify the new release with the well-known brand but combining it with
> familiar symbols will.
>
> I agree with the sentiment of making a fresh start but I think we should
> take the market with us rather than getting ahead of it.
>
> Regards, Terry

Hi Terry,

I agree, however my reasoning is this.  We can't afford to be timid, the LO
guys have taken the initiative really well and they're getting their brand out
there.  However, make no bones about it, they are still the new kid on the
block and while their penetration in the Linux space has been significant and
they have had some good wins, in terms of the overall market I'm pretty sure
that OOo is still the biggest beast on the block.

There has been enough "OOo is dead and buried" FUD out there to give the
rumour some credence by the simple fact that many are saying it.  So the
market is not expecting BaU.  If we relaunch with a whimper it will simply
give the FUD more fuel.

When we launch it needs to be a Phoenix rising from the ashes of Oracles
ownership,  not just a scorched seagull.   THAT will take the market with us.
If we look like we're just trying to breath life into a dead bird, the market
will not be inspired.

Tsk getting all metaphorical, need to cut back on the coffee!  :)

My personal position (that may be seen as a little extreme and just quietly
ignoring Apache requirements for a release before grad.)   is that we don't do
a 3.4 release. (Heck leave it to the TOO guys)  I would rather have 4.0 a
little earlier.  That would give us a huge hook to hang a marketing campaign
on and time to focus purely on that from both a development and a marketing
viewpoint.

The time to start all this now, the Dev guys have been at it for weeks already
as well as dealing with the IP stuff, we may still be a podling but there will
be little different when we become a TLP,  start as we mean to go on for my
money.

Cheers
GL

PS: I should point out here, because someone will tut tut about my comments,
that we ARE in competition with LO.  However I've decided my idea of
competition is different to the American version.  And I have deduced (without
any empirical data of course!  :D) it's because Americans don't play Rugby.

There is this godawful cliche that often pops up in post match interviews:
"Rugby was the winner on the day." but in fact it has some resonance here.  We
can compete hard and fair on the field and at the end of the day I will still
call Florian and Charles and Simon and Cor and Italo et al, mates and share a
post match beer.  The winner on the day will be FOSS and the OOo Multiverse.