From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:11:21 GMT
On Sunday 04 Dec 2011 04:04:54 drew wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 16:50 +1300, Graham Lauder wrote:
> > On Friday 02 Dec 2011 21:31:45 drew wrote:
> > > Howdy Eric,

> > > <snip>
> > > Your welcome and thanks also.

> > > hmm, my take on the conversation was that there was a user for a
> > > graphic specific to the project and not necessarily to the product, so
> > > that is what was in my head when prompted.
> > >
> > > So with specifics to the graphic I whipped up, one thing I'm not
> > > satisfied with is the color change to the text 'Open' I'll work on that
> > > later today.
> > >
> > > In general, I believe you are absolutely correct this project would
> > > benefit from some 'real' designer(s) getting involved. (maybe this will
> > > help spur some one..)
> > >
> > > For specific elements of the application changing, including the logo
> > > used there, this proposal does not mean I think they should be changed,
> > > at least not at the moment - that level of change would, IMO, best be
> > > held off on till some of the above human resources speak up.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it's getting rather late now - will try to work on that color
> > > issue after I get some sleep.
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > >
> > > //drew
> >
> > Eric is right however, first we need to define a colour pallet, font
> > face, bugs and general style.  Define also dimensions and proportions
> > and white space for the various use cases. (print, web, promotional gear
> > etc)   This should all be laid out in a style guide.  Any fonts used
> > should be available under appropriate licenses as well.
>
> Howdy Graham, eric, others,
>
> I do understand and agree with the concerns, but the fact remains that
> there is a need at this moment for a logo specific to _this_ project.
>
> My best attempt was made to create new artwork which conforms to the
> design principles as described in the OpenOffice.org branding guidelines
> documentation.
>
> This is one of the reasons I've avoided commenting on calls for mascots,
> feathers and the like, though I did put up an example which included an
> example which did expand the color space, yesterday.
>
> Today I've uploaded the actual proposal files, found as before on the
> AOO community wiki at:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>
> Please note that I've added information on the M+ font family used to
> generate the source image.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Branding_Initiative/branding_guide
> lines_draft
>
> I believe the font license poses no barriers to use in this project, and
> English version of the license can be found here:
> http://mplus-fonts.sourceforge.jp/mplus-outline-fonts/index-en.html#license
>
> I am happy to answer questions on the work and respond to
> concerns/requests, particularly as regards seamlessly fitting into the
> current branding of existing artwork.
>
> Thanks for your interest and feedback,
>
> //drew

My feeling at this point is that it would be preferable to start as we mean to
go on.  As has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions this is not the
old OOo project.  True, we are in incubating and not yet a TLP, however it
seems that we should be marketing the project as if we were, so that it can be
seen what we look like once we do become a TLP. Therefore I think we need to
look at the branding with a long term perspective.

Whatever release is put out  by this podling, from now on will be an Apache
release under Apache license and branding should reflect that.

The name isn't a hell of a lot different, other than the Apache lead, so the
new brand needs to reflect that this is a new beginning for a new project that
just happens to be based on the old OOo code that retains some of the old
name.

 The old logo and branding is now past tense we need a reboot to see us into
the future.

Retaining the old branding or even something like it simply reinforces the
view that the project stuttered and stopped and is now staggering back to life
but is now way back down the track with the "competition" having continued at
full pace.

We are in the situation now, given the time lapse, of being seen as
irrelevant.  The only way to counter that is to come back to the market
refreshed and announcing to the world that we are still with the frontrunners
by being bold and brazen with good code, innovative features and a bold new
look.  This is the only chance we will have to do this, once we're back in
people's consciousness any changes to the branding will have to be incremental
and small.

Cheers
GL

PS:  Normally I despise "Brand Competitions" with a decision by vote and I
still do.  However a Competition may be the best bet at this juncture, however
we need to use marketing best practice here.  If we decide on a competition my
suggestion is to get the community (Dev list) vote down to top five by
transferable vote or we have consensus.

Those people in the community who wish to be involved in marketing (this list)
then remove two more by consensus. Then all of those people take the remaining
three variations and survey end users in good old fashioned market research.

The other option is the Apache way, "Those that do the work  make the
decision." Those on this list create the branding elements and we work it over
until we have a consensus.

PPS:  Obviously contributors will need to have signed an ICLA to have artwork
considered.