From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Running an aggregation site for Apache OpenOffice project at paper.il
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 01:14:37 GMT
On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 19:18 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> [...]
> > those, but not all[1], configurations (papers) dealt with
> > OpenOffice.org, or LibreOffice or both. The service takes up to 10
> > distinct data streams
> >
> > Recently I changed one of those configurations to generate 'The Apache
> > OpenOffice(tm) Daily.
> >
> > Alright, for the most part of this last year my time was put, nearly
> > exclusively to just one paper http://paper.il/libreofficevols/paper
> >
> > (unfortunately, or so it seems, getting a url such as that was something
> > quickly lost to growth at the paper il service..now they are numeric
> > only ... bummer[1])
> >
> > Dennis mentioned one other 'paper's in an earlier email
> > - The Apache OpenOffice Daily, and I mentioned in the editors note, at
> > same,  this was originally named The OpenOffice org Daily.
> >
> > So first thing on that - the url listed in Dennis' email is about to be
> > removed, it is tied to the twitter account used when the paper
> > configuration was initialized. I would much prefer do this, long term,
> > using a twitter account not tied to that account - and focused with this
> > particular use, driving aggregation style services, for now this
> > singular instance
> > - and I would like to treat (offer) this new twitter account as a shared
> > resource with a limited number of community members, should there be any
> > interested of course.
> >
> > Share the twitter account, and therefore the data stream for this - and
> > the paper configuration.
> >
> > Here is the location I am planning on going forward with:
> >
> > http://paper.li/OUCVols/1323382478
> >
> > - sounds simple, 10 data streams, a mix of any of the following:
> > Twitter account alone
> > twitter account group (account + followers, lists)
> > Twitter hash tag search (one tag per slot) + added filters
> > Twitter text search + filters (one per paper)
> > Facebook user account (one per slot)
> > Facebook text search (one per paper)
> >
> > Building up the readership of the libo paper took attention on a regular
> > basis over time, and still does.
> >
> > Finally - I would like to keep the background (not speaking of the logo
> > on it, this moment) and think I can just do this, as it started as
> > wallpaper donation on the oo.o wiki under GPL - I then altered it a bit
> > for current colors and trimmed it down a bunch of bytes.
> >
> > The logo currently on the background is of the design suggestion I put
> > to the wiki the other day - I'd like to use it, but I understand if
> > folks think it's not a good idea today.. in that case I would like to ue
> > the current OO.o logo in it's place.
> >
> > I suppose that's two questions:
> > Long term can I use one of the logos on this particular web address?
> > For the moment may I leave my design proposal?
> >

> Hi Drew, I like what you've done here.
>
> As for logo use, I think we want to make it clear to the visitor
> whether the site is:
>
> 1) An independent site run by an enthusiastic supporter of the project

Absolutely

> or
>
> 2) An official service of the project, under PPMC oversight, albeit
> hosted on non-Apache servers

> There are many different sites that fit into category #1.  For
> example, http://planetopenoffice.org/
>
> My personal opinion is such sites should not use the project logo, but
> could use the product name, provided there was a suitable disclaimer
> making it clear that it was not an official AOO service.
>
> Ideally, we'd develop some sort of "I support Apache OpenOffice" or "I
> <heart> Apache OpenOffice" or similar logo that such websites can use,
> that are based on, but not identical to the official logo.
>
> But if you think this "paper" is a service more like #2, then I don't
> think trademarks are an issue.  We just need to make sure that other
> project volunteers can have input, that discussions related to the
> site take place on ooo-dev, decisions related to it are decided here,
> etc.  As an official project site, we could even link to it from our
> website.

Ok - well, for instance I could and would be willing to share logon
credentials for the oucvols twitter account with, a few, others. I would
certainly recognize and treat the account as a shared resource to be
used for the benefit of the project. I'd be happy to keep a record of
who that on the wiki - but still, I don't really like the idea of
'official' sites that are advertising driven such as this service. I
feel fine using it as a booster site and being treated well by project
proper, but to be totally honest, I am of two minds for the long term
answer, in regards to the logo usage.

The site works just as well with the name using the tm and links to the
actual project sites on the landing page, as it is now and the
complimentary theme style, sans logo also, IMO.

Along that same line, I think the question of how I used a logo from the
project, let alone a proposed unofficial logo, on the lo-portal.us/aoo
page is more difficult. I feel I should rework that layout souch that
it's more pronounced the site is _not_ an official site and will do
that.

<snip>

Thanks,

//drew