From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject RE: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:26:06 GMT

tweeter), but here's publicity of a sort: <http://paper.li/baseanswers/1318559392>.

here: <https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#100933269401814278228/posts>.  And for ODF too:
<http://lo-portal.us/>.

> And all because this fun guy is in my circles: <https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#111286111779516013881/posts>.
>
>  - Dennis, still attempting to figure out what LO-client is and whether it has anything
to do with LightsOut.

Hi Dennis,

Ah, well let's start with your last question - why the name lo-portal
and why .us on the end of it?

briefly:
Why lo-portal?
(L)ibreOffice (O)penoffice.org Portal ( a web site offering content from
multiple services, some will be local [original] and some [most at
first, perhaps always] will be aggregations of, or unique [hopefully]
views of publicly  available data).

Why the .us?
Early on, in the great openoffice.org fork of LibreOffice, one of the
OO.o community members in Germany, who historically ran a number of OO.o
focused web sites, launched lo-portal.de. I liked the name lo-portal,
and felt that I would possibly want to do something similar for the USA.
I registered the domain name (and .com BTW), then promptly sat on my
hands for the part of a year - while considering if the LO would really
stand for (L)ibre(O)ffice, to which I can say with certainty that if the
transfer to ASF had not happened it would of.

[**NOTE** there is no relationship, of any kind, between the websites
lo-portal.de and lo-portal.us. I know the owner but only in the most
cursory of ways.]

Ok - You picked up on the fact, I think, the site is taking a definite
branch approach to projects/organizations.

lo-portal.us/ just a bunch of jump points currently, but displays a data
stream focused on ODF, the standard and all the technology products
supporting it. [just a paper.il for the moment But you need to start
somwhere, yes?] This will continue to be the focus for the landing page.

lo-portal.us/aoo  {OpenOffice.org/Apache OpenOffice}

lo-portal.us/libo {LibreOffice/TDF}

Paper.il - there are three papers that I'm actively working now:
The LibreOffice Daily
The Apache OpenOffice Daily
The ODF World News

I think for details on the paper I need like to start a new thread - I
do have questions/requests for the group as a whole, and need to ask
permission I think to use the branding elements I so blithely
incorporated. ( one exception: I can't control the attribution style
used by the service, so I'll pass on discussing the specific merits of
that - though I'll send along the address you could use to contact the
people that could make a change :)

Speaking of branding elements I also need to pass the use on the
lo-portal/aoo page - which I planned to do in a response to Graham on
the AOO Logo thread - but since we are here...

For the moment let's keep this simple - I want to use an Apache
OpenOffice branding of some type on the aoo page there. For the first
two page updates I used the design I proposed for an AOO logo - as much
to give a point of reference for everyone to review as anything. So, I
would gladly change to something else, maybe the OO.o logo, maybe just
the text Apache OpenOffice(tm) or maybe something else - simply put I'll
abide by any decision from the project as to what is acceptable on third
party sites.

The first day it was just the logo, currently, my plan was to generate a
series of 'plaques' for the page, one each week for the next 4 weeks -
the plaques incorporate the branding elements for AOO and OO.o.

So the first one represents my furtherance to the idea of 'blending' the
two cultures, Apache and OO.o - what I went with was something that, to
me at least, is iconic to Native American culture, the dream catcher.

Anyway - I'll follow up on the thread on the logo with a reply to
Grahams last email.

Thanks

//drew

OpenOffice.

> Blogging, with RSS feeds and syndication notifications, is probably the lowest-friction
authoring case that provides easy commentary and replication.  (Wikis are lower friction but
don't disseminate so well.  YouTube, on the other hand, is a whole different story.)

> Then there is chatter via Twitter (my authoring tool does that automatically) and other
syndications: Linked In, Facebook, Google+, etc.  These can broaden the interest and extend
the conversation.  With trackbacks from posts of others, it can become very interesting.

> And for starters, someone has to give themselves permission to say something interesting
somewhere that provides the ground for visibility and is easy to publish to.

>  - Dennis

Wiki.  It is archived and it permits comments.

> > There is also the Roller aggregator.  I have been too lazy to figure out how to
set up a blog category that has a separate RSS feed that goes into the aggregator, but any
committer can do that and create a news stream.  That takes care of the RSS and it puts it
on the Apache site in the Roller aggregation.  (I forget the correct name for that.)

> > Also, this moribund blog site that Terry complains about still has the second-highest
number of hits among the Apache Roller blogs.  Those are coming from somewhere.