From Terry <terauck-aoom...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Re: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:09:59 GMT
I suppose one's point of view is based on observation.  I spend little time on the likes of
Twitter and Facebook.  I still have accounts on stumbleupon, digg and slashdot.  Are they
still in the game?

What I see happening (because of where I look) is reporters, commentators and bloggers picking
up a news item and writing about it.  Not infrequently, the first article or blog entry will
be followed by a commentary by another writer.  The story gains currency by being reported
or discussed on one or more of many sites which focus on software.  Such articles are also
mentioned on forums.

A link which Dennis posted on the users' list ( http://stackoverflow.com/q/8418354 ) and the
links which Rob posted recently on this list are worth publicising.  I suppose the point
I wanted to make is that they are worthy of more publicity than they get on the mailing lists.
It's all very well for a few people on the lists to tweet or google+ and I don't decry efforts
like that.  I would just like to see something which can be picked up by more people, meaning
people involved in the project and interested observers.

I replied to the question on stackoverflow by suggesting a post in the community forums.

By the way, I did not intend to complain about the blog, merely to observe that in practice
it is an underused asset.

Regards, Terry