From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 15:04:54 GMT
On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 16:50 +1300, Graham Lauder wrote:
> On Friday 02 Dec 2011 21:31:45 drew wrote:
> > Howdy Eric,
> >
> > On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:52 +0100, eric b wrote:
> > > Apologies, I forgot :
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for your proposal
> >
> > <snip>
> > Your welcome and thanks also.
> >
> > > Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete
> > > graphic chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so
> > > on : invite Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.
> >
> > hmm, my take on the conversation was that there was a user for a graphic
> > specific to the project and not necessarily to the product, so that is
> > what was in my head when prompted.
> >
> > So with specifics to the graphic I whipped up, one thing I'm not
> > satisfied with is the color change to the text 'Open' I'll work on that
> > later today.
> >
> > In general, I believe you are absolutely correct this project would
> > benefit from some 'real' designer(s) getting involved. (maybe this will
> > help spur some one..)
> >
> > For specific elements of the application changing, including the logo
> > used there, this proposal does not mean I think they should be changed,
> > at least not at the moment - that level of change would, IMO, best be
> > held off on till some of the above human resources speak up.
> >
> > Anyway, it's getting rather late now - will try to work on that color
> > issue after I get some sleep.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > //drew
>
> Eric is right however, first we need to define a colour pallet, font face,
> bugs and general style.  Define also dimensions and proportions and white
> space for the various use cases. (print, web, promotional gear etc)   This
> should all be laid out in a style guide.  Any fonts used should be available
> under appropriate licenses as well.

Howdy Graham, eric, others,

I do understand and agree with the concerns, but the fact remains that
there is a need at this moment for a logo specific to _this_ project.

My best attempt was made to create new artwork which conforms to the
design principles as described in the OpenOffice.org branding guidelines
documentation.

This is one of the reasons I've avoided commenting on calls for mascots,
feathers and the like, though I did put up an example which included an
example which did expand the color space, yesterday.

Today I've uploaded the actual proposal files, found as before on the
AOO community wiki at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal

Please note that I've added information on the M+ font family used to
generate the source image.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Branding_Initiative/branding_guidelines_draft

I believe the font license poses no barriers to use in this project, and
English version of the license can be found here:
http://mplus-fonts.sourceforge.jp/mplus-outline-fonts/index-en.html#license

I am happy to answer questions on the work and respond to
concerns/requests, particularly as regards seamlessly fitting into the
current branding of existing artwork.

Thanks for your interest and feedback,

//drew